Friday, November 27, 2015

"Less is Bore!" Mixed media tray (canvas)



Follow me on facebook! "Less is bore!"

Hi all! 
Because I felt that my blog needed an actual scrapped banner instead of the digital one I had, I made my own in a Finnabair mixed media style. 
A wooden tray was all I could find in the desired size. I turned it upside down though, which seemed easier for stenciling. 
First, I coated the tray with white gesso. Adhered a piece of 'open' ribbon to the left and then stenciled different stencils using modelling paste. I stenciled the 'art is..' text, some bricks, a church window and damask.
The wooden frame was covered with a mix of modeling paste and '13 arts magic powder'. I added this a bit on the left corners too, to make the transition from the ribbon to the background more smooth.
Unfortunately it didn't provide me with the crackle texture it should have. Need some practising with it, obviously. 


When that had dried I added some more frames, embellishments and letters. Covered everything in gesso. Multiple layers on the colored letters.




When that had all dried I decided the top right corner needed more embellishing. Covered those in gesso too.
For more structure I added glass beads texture gel on some things and crackle paint on others.


I let it dry and added several different colors of mists. I used some Lindy's, Dylusions, Tattered Angels; whichever colour suited my idea. In between colours I dried with my heatgun! 

 

After the first session of spraying I wasn't very pleased so I added another colour and just kept changing things until I was happy. 


When I was finished I rubbed some golden colored Inka Gold on every single part that stood out or was textured.

I added some more crackle medium on the letters and some embellishments. The sometimes multiple layers of different colours mist provided me with some lovely, surprising effects!

Later I used a cream colored Inka Gold on my letters because they didn't stand out enough, as you can see in the picture above. 

I'll leave you with some close-ups. I'd love to hear what you think! And I'm always happy to answer your questions!

Happy scrapping! :)






1 comment:

cindy said...

This is great. I plan to make one for a gift. Beautiful.